Summer is often synonymous with hot weather, and it’s not always easy to stay cool throughout the day. So we went around the editorial office to ask what tips Marie Claire contributors had for beating the heat. Here’s a quick overview.
- Soak your elbows in cold water for a good minute
- Soak your feet in a bucket of cold water
- Take a cool (or even cold) shower before going to bed: it lowers the body temperature and slows down the body, which helps you fall asleep and reduces the feeling of heat
- Drink water continuously (tip: to cool a bottle faster, wrap it in a wet sheet and put it in the refrigerator or freezer)
In the diet
- Eat lightly; too much digestion can increase body heat
- Cool down from the inside! Eat ice cream (we have listed some with few calories here) and salads
For the night
- It is better to use cotton bed sheets when it is hot. As for clothes, synthetic makes you sweat!
- If it’s hot outside, it’s best to avoid opening the windows during the day. To air the house, wait until the end of the day and air it all night.
- Put a cold water bottle in the bed
- Walk barefoot
- Imitate our friends the cats and lie down on the floor which is always cooler.
- Avoid sports or intense activities, with a good excuse for once!
- Like Marilyn Monroe in the movie “7 Years of Thinking”, slip your underwear into the refrigerator while you take your shower. Not only do you feel clean, you feel fresh!